It is developed in pregnancy, by ultrasound you can see which hand is licked or close to mouth most. While Most people are right handed, but 10% of the world is not. And also they are more common in males than females. That’s another fact about left handed people because they are frequently referred to as “lefties.” Another common nickname for them is “southpaw” (particularly in a sports context). This nickname occurred during the 1890s due to left handed baseball pitchers. Batters are facing east so that the afternoon sun does not shine in their eyes.
Do You Know?
* There seem to be a high likelihood that in twins, one will be left handed. It is believed that there may be some genetic link for left hand preference. There has not been a specific gene pinpointed that is the “left handed” gene as of yet, however it does seem like left handedness runs in families.
* Before birth, exposure to high testosterone may can lead to left handed child (because high rates of testosterone suppresses left hemisphere of the brain).
* 25% of astronauts are lefties.
* Every year Over 2500 people die from using tools which was created for ‘right handed’ people. Life can be difficult for lefties simply because everything is made for right handed individuals. Consider knives, for example, because they are mostly made for righties. The computer mouse is almost always on the right side of the computer and that makes it difficult for lefties to handle. Most guns and golf clubs are made for right handed people. Finding the other versions are easier today, but they can be more expensive.
* Another left handed fact is lefties sometimes find it difficult to complete their school work simply because most desks are made for right handed individuals. Those who are lefties have their arms hanging out in the air when they are trying to write, which makes it very difficult. Maybe it is because of this that many of them have poor handwriting.
Want to see more left handed facts? Visit http://squidoo.com/factsaboutlefthanded